Coronavirus updates: reports on Cuba’s international response to COVID-19
News from Cuba | Tuesday, 19 May 2020
Stories on Cuba’s international response to coronavirus
On the 6th May, Cuba itself had 1,685 cases of coronavirus, resulting in 69 deaths, and more than 3,000 under observation in hospital. Doctors and medical students throughout the country are taking place in door to door health check ups and reminding people of what symptoms to look for and the importance of social distancing. On 20 March, when the island had less than twenty cases, the government took the decision to close its borders, except for residents and foreign nationals wishing to return. Tourists in the country at the time were quarantined in hotels for fourteen days or until their flight home.
At the same time the island provided inspirational international solidarity around the world.
Cuban medical brigades were sent to help beleaguered health services in several countries including Italy and Jamaica. The island allowed a British cruise ship to dock so that infected passengers could be flown home. And Cuban anti viral Interferon Alfa-2b was made available to help with treatment.
Cuba’s response was mentioned in the British parliament both by Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab, and by the then Leader of the Labour Party, Jeremy Corbyn who said: “The internationalism of the doctors from Cuba who have gone to fight the virus in Italy is inspirational."
International praise also came from former president of Brazil, Ignacio Lula da Silva, who said “the Cuban people showed the world an example of solidarity.” In an embarrassing U-turn, Brazil’s health minister, begged for Cuban doctors to come back, less than eighteen months after they were expelled by President Jair Bolsonaro in 2018.
Cuba’s inspirational humanitarian response to COVID-19 came despite the country facing shortages and difficulties at home as a result of the tightening of the US blockade by President Trump.
On 26 March, the Cuban Foreign Ministry was forced to issue a strongly worded protest in response to “particularly offensive statements” and “lies” against Cuba’s international medical cooperation from the US Department of State which unbelieveably attempts to pressure countries to reject Cuban aid during the coronavirus pandemic.
CSC joins the United Nations’ High Commissioner for Human Rights, and other international organisations and groups, in calling for an immediate end to the US blockade in the light of the current global emergency.
As of the 27th April 2020, the Cuba Solidarity Campaign's emergency appeal had raised over £20,000. The money will be used to buy ventilators, testing kits and personal protective equipment for use in Cuba.
- 4/5/20 - Diaz-Canel: "If we had globalized solidarity as the market was globalized, the story would be different"
- 30/4/20 - Cuban doctors recommended for Nobel Prize in recognition of coronavirus efforts
- 30/4/20 - Lift Cuba embargo or risk many lives lost to COVID-19, UN rights experts warn US
- 30/4/20 - Cuba is Ready to Aid the U.S. in its Fight Against COVID-19.
- 28/4/20 - Cuba’s Unique Model of Medical Internationalism
- 27/4/20 - Emergency appeal for Cuba raises over £20,000 in first few days
- 27/4/20 - Cuba Develops First COVID-19 Tracking App
- 26/4/20 - Cuban Doctors Head to South Africa to Help Fight COVID-19
- 23/4/20 - New Cuban Medical Aid Brigade Arrives in St. Lucia
- 21/4/20 - Cuban drug to strengthen natural immunity in trial phase
- 20/4/20 - Argentina to Soon Welcome 200 Cuban Doctors for COVID-19 Fight
- 19/4/20 - Cuban doctors are the world’s heroes — their nation needs us now
- 19/4/20 - COVID-19 Emergency Appeal for Cuba
- 16/4/20 - Cuba Calls for International Cooperation to Combat COVID-19
- 15/4/20 - PRESS RELEASE: British MPs call for US blockade to be suspended during coronavirus pandemic
- 15/4/20 - Over 50 MPs call on government to oppose US blockade of Cuba
- 15/4/20 - Coronavirus response: why Cuba is such an interesting case
- 14/4/20 - Cuba shares what it has
- 13/4/20 - U.S. company buys ventilator supplier and cancels shipments to Cuba citing blockade
- 11/4/20 - Cuban-trained Doctor Helps Mobilize Pandemic Response in Her South Bronx Community
- 9/4/20 - 13,000 people from 126 different countries sign open letter calling for the end of the US blockade of Cuba.
- 8/4/20 - Contribution from China to support Cuban fight against COVID-19
- 7/4/20 - UK thanks Cuba for ‘great gesture of solidarity’ in rescuing passengers from coronavirus cruise ship
- 5/5/20 - Inspirational internationalism
- 3/4/30 - 32 British MPs sign Open Letter calling on UK Government to take action on US blockade of Cuba
- 3/4/20 - US blocks medical aid to Cuba in show of ‘wild west brutality’
- 2/4/20 - ‘Criminal blockade’: Cuba outraged as delivery of Covid-19 aid from Alibaba chief aborted ‘at the last minute’ due to US sanctions
- 27/3/20 - US pressures countries to reject Cuban aid during coronavirus pandemic
- 26/3/20 - Cuba protests at offensive US statement Cuban doctors fighting COVID-19
- 26/3/20 - Corbyn praises Cuba’s ‘inspirational’ coronavirus efforts – part of its longstanding medical solidarity around the world
- 26/3/20 - COVID-19 gives the lie to global health expertise
- 25/3/20 - Cuba welcomes UN demand to suspend sanctions in the face of Covid-19
- 23/3/20 - Amid coronavirus pandemic, Bolsonaro’s Brazil begs for Cuban doctors – after expelling them
- 23/3/20 - Lula: The Cuban people show the world an example of solidarity
- 23/3/20 - The history of interferon in Cuba, in use today to treat Covid-19
- 22/3/20 - Cuban doctors head to Italy to battle coronavirus
- 21/3/20 - Cuba’s welcome to stricken cruise ship reflects a long pattern of global humanitarian commitment
- 21/3/20 - Cuba sends 144 health workers to Jamaica
- 18/3/20 - What coronavirus revealed about national mindsets across the world — and how Cuba came out on top
- 17/30/20 - PRESS RELEASE: Dominic Raab thanks Cuba for coronavirus assistance
- 16/3/20 - CNN - Cuba is repurposing factories to produce face masks
- 16/3/20 - Cuba gives permission for cruise ship carrying COVID-19 patients to dock citing solidarity and health as a human right
- 15/3/20 - BioCubaFarma Guarantees Production of Drugs for COVID-19
- 14/2/20 - Chinese Doctors Are Using Cuban Antivirals Against Coronavirus